Sunday, 3 June 2012

A Dash of This and That

I am nearly bursting at the seams with ideas right now. I haven't written in a while because I have been engrossed in reading these:

     


I am learning about food, chemicals, pesticides, factory farming, organic food, fast food, meat, dairy, gluten, and as every woman seems to know by now...how to write up an S&M contract.

I was inspired by this blog post to join Julie on a 5-week sugar-free challenge. We have a week to go. Here is where she is now. I will write where I end up next Thursday when we are finished. Report cards are due on Friday so I'm sure I will need an excuse to avoid them.

I also stumbled across this blog about being mindful as a human being, putting down technology and being present with your children or partner or friends or family or nature or dare I say, with yourself. I started to notice that whenever Brennan saw my cellphone sitting on a table he would bring it to me. He would tell me to turn the iPad off at night and to not 'do work' and to 'lie down' with him so we could hold hands. I realized what I was becoming. So I started to put the phone down. And the iPad. And my 'work'. And I made sure my play with Brennan was more mindful. I was present and really paid attention to our conversations, his discoveries, and how much fun we had when I wasn't stealing a precious moment to write a text message. Brennan is becoming a little boy in front of our eyes and he gets funnier and sweeter every day.

- - - - -

Yesterday I participated in my first Cycle for Autism. Two of my students walked/rode and I saw other people I knew there with their kids. Here is me on Team Owen and Ben.


The rain held off and the path was a tranquil trail through a forest near the water. The best part of the day was seeing a wide range of children and adults with Autism, all over 'The Spectrum' just being. There was stimming and spinning and crying. There were smiles and laughter and cheers. Family and friends all gathered together to bring awareness to Autism. No strange looks, no whispers, no staring. Just acceptance. And one huge-ass amount of love and respect and understanding. It was one of the greatest events I have participated in. And little Owen...he rocked that 5K walk, practically running the whole way with all those strangers around him in a new environment. Then he played on the playground and had a blast. Just like EVERY OTHER KID there. Because no one was judging. No one was being left out. It was one big family. Now THAT is the way the world should be.

Our world should not be about random shootings in a mall food court.

Or how many pins you have on Pinterest.

Or keeping the house immaculate.

Our bodies should not be filled with easy, cheap, cholesterol-filled food.

Instead:
I can't tell you how great I feel having learned to LET GO. If only I could have done it years ago...I wonder how life would have changed? The power of choice is immense and fulfilling.

This week I chose...

1. a long nap with Brennan
2. finishing a book when I woke up before he did
3. to not eat the cookies or ice-cream sandwiches Steve thoughtfully brought home
4. to write this blog post
5. to not look at my To-Do list
6. to hand in Brennan's application and deposit for Montessori School
7. to laugh when I normally would have been irate
8. to buy expensive organic, gluten-free pancake mix
9. to listen to the rain and the birds instead of music
10. to blow-dry my hair for the first time in weeks. And put on a little lipgloss :)

See you Thursday, have a great week :)



2 comments:

  1. I'm INCREDIBLY inspired! Bravo LeeAnn for being so wonderful and so busy with your own projects at the busiest time at school. I WISH I could be as devoted to the no-sugar diet as you. I wish Brennan could come stay with me and make me do healthy things :) Lovely to see you here xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously need to get 50 shades of grey...I'm so behind! Can't wait to hear about your weeks without sugar. It's something I'm seriously contemplating, as I want to try to eliminate my acne for good

    ReplyDelete