I walked into Starbucks today and there was a melancholy song on. The sky was dreary and the regulars trudged in wearing winter coats and boots. I noticed the lack of decorations and spunk.
The holidays are over. I'm not sure why I'm surprised.
At least when winter is starting there are the holidays to look forward to. Everywhere you go, you have the assurance of holiday cheer, or at least a setting to inspire the spirit. Once Valentine's day has sucked the life out of the single people and broke the bank for those poor men who buy triple priced roses, there's really nothing to prepare for until Spring. And yes there is Spring to look forward to but this dreary part of winter is my absolute most despised time of year. We have had a really easy mild winter season, and Mother Nature, please don't get me wrong I certainly appreciate your kindness in the precipitation and temperature department however, I need some sun.
I have noticed that the days are getting longer and I swore I heard the first trace of annoying birds start chirping outside my window. (Please note I am not a bird hater. I don't try to shoot them with BB guns, but the 3 trees in our front yard are home to the loudest and possibly earliest rising birds in town and I don't care for them at 4:45am thank you very much). Even though those birds are a good sign, Spring just always feels so far away. St. Patrick's Day is not as fun as when I was in university and unless there's a Shamrock Shake involved, I'm not decorating.
I don't think Starbucks is either.
No comments:
Post a Comment